January 22, 2010

stacking coins . . .

So I had a bunch of scraps left over from Alyssa's quilt, scraps from clothes I've made for the girls, and a stack of charms that I had won online. So what better way to show them all than in a rug and curtains for Alyssa's room? Here's two variations of a stacked coin design.For the rug, some woven material on sale at our local fabric store was pieced with the cottons for the top, the woven material was used again for the backing, and a rubber material stitched to the back so it wouldn't slide around.For the curtains, a solid white cotton was used with the charms, and a blackout material for the backing.And voila! A fun coordinating room that she won't outgrow too soon (aside from the toddler bed). Now to work on those bare walls . . .

21 comments:

Kathleen said... #

Very pretty, colorful, and girly.

Sue said... #

Something that will def. last her a while. Love the matching! So creative! :)

Anonymous said... #

very cute!

LVM

Leslie said... #

these are very cute and great ideas...they add such fun to the room

Andrea @ The Train to Crazy said... #

I love this!! Great idea. So cute.

Karen said... #

Fantastic finishes!

Catherine said... #

A great use of leftovers from the quilt. Love the stacked coins pattern as it really showcases the fabrics. Great finishes this week.

pinksuedeshoe said... #

Love the rug. It totally ties everything together. I might have to make one of those for my little girl!

Vicki @ DottyJane said... #

What great ideas! I would never have thought of making the rug. Nice finishes:)

Sara said... #

Very cool...and I love how it all looks together...

Great finishes...

Alisa said... #

The curtains turned out beautiful - they look great in there.

Sue SA said... #

Wow, you must be superwoman! I only have two preschool aged kids and making time to sew a quilt is hard enough, let alone then turn them into a rug and curtains! They are so lovely and it goes to show that patchwork RULES when it comes to home decorating. I think "rules" as a term might just date me a bit, hmmmm lucky I dont have teenages! Happy quilting, Sue.

Suzanne said... #

Very cute!

Rene' said... #

Wow..love these projects. Great idea to make the rug and curtains with the coin pattern. Really pretty fabrics. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said... #

What a fantastic idea - pretty result.

Emily's Family said... #

Wow that is beautiful. I really want to learn to make stuff for my girls.

http://couponmommyof2.blogspot.com/

Heather said... #

Oh, so cute! She'll sleep well in such a pretty room. Great job!

amylouwhosews said... #

killing me with cuteness! I love, love, love coin quilts!! and rugs and curtains!

Jenn said... #

What a unique idea for the "coined curtains"

Kristen said... #

I can't stop think about those curtains. They're so cute. Now I know what to do with those extra coin fabric I have.

Tania Grim said... #

wow you are talented!