January 16, 2010

some sewing . . .

A little while ago I had the priviledge of being a pattern tester for The Handmade Dress. The pattern is called Miss Alice and is now available for sale. I made a size 5 with the intention of giving it to Chantel. It was a very quick and easy pattern. I really love the style of the yoke and think it's just a great touch. The dress is quite long with the intention of being modest and after I completed it - I thought that it better suited Elayna. But my girls are more of skirt and pants kinda girls and their Sunday dresses are often more dressy than this. So after I had taken some pics of it on Elayna, I shortened the length, removed the belt, and made a pair of matching narrow pants; and now we have another school outfit for Chantel. I added the rutching to the side of the pants and a raw applique as an after-thought (had I thought it out before-hand, I would've done the applique first and added more of the flowers and a butterfly from the fabric). I will definitely make this pattern again, I think it would look sweet in a cotton or knit for more of a spring/summer style (I'm already picturing it with some capri leggings). I've also seen it completed in baby-sizes and they look especially sweet.
Another project I've completed won't be seen too much, but will be worn lots. A pair of pull-on training panties for Alyssa, complete with pocket opening to put an insert in if needed. It was my second attempt as the first pair wasn't a good fit. She seems to love them and I'm hoping to whip up a bunch more pairs since they only took about 10 minutes to complete.

3 comments:

Mom A. said... #

I liked the dress on Elayna and it made her look older with her hair up.....but I agree with you that it's cute on Chantel as a top & bottom. Her hair looks cute. The training pants is a neat idea and a heck of a lot cheaper than pull ups. We always had the really heavy training pants and they worked well for just being wet, but were awful when they filled them. Did you put a side opening on yours? Take care

Andrea @ The Train to Crazy said... #

10 minute to complete? Did you use a pattern? I need to make a bunch of these!

Rebecca said... #

I made a pattern from one of my son's cloth dipes and did a trial pair before figuring out the right size. I want to get some waterproof material and make a bunch of them - they make cheap pull-ups and since my daughter is #2 trained, I made them without side openings.