November 25, 2014

matching girl and doll outfits...


My middle daughter and a friend from school wanted to be dressed up from the Little House on the Prairie era for book character day this week. I had a copy of Miss Madeline in my sewing patterns, as well as enough fabric on hand to make two girls dresses, matching doll dresses, and bonnets.


For the doll dresses, I used the bodice piece from another pattern I had, lengthened it, and added the apron. The bonnets were from a free online tutorial and I decreased the measurements for the doll version. My daughter is pretty pleased with them, and I hope to make some more matching modern sets for my girls in the new year.


5 comments:

Suze said... #

What a great idea for Little House on the Prairie for character day. I love the costume and the doll dress. You did a wonderful job. Should be a great hit! Instead of Halloween, one of my grandson's school has the children dress as a book character. That takes away from the evil intent some associate with the event. I remember when Halloween was a fun, safe event for children and adults had fun, too.

Lori said... #

what a great idea. your little girl looks adorable. she is so pretty. and she looks pretty happy about the dress and bonnet also.

Anonymous said... #

Really great! Before I read your post - only the picture at Let's Bee Social reminds me on Little House on the prairie ... I love that, the books and the TV series too! What a great idea!
Kind regards from Germany, Annett

JanineMarie said... #

Oh, this takes me back about 25 years to when my daughter dressed like this for a school visit to a one-room schoolhouse. I just came across the outfit when I was cleaning out a closet the other day (I kept it so my granddaughter can wear it in a few years.) Your version is so sweet with the matching doll outfit.

Lorna McMahon said... #

Absolutely adorable! Your daughter and her doll are both looking lovely in their new dress and bonnets. I love Little House!