February 18, 2014

a new tote...

One of my sisters asked for a tote she could take to work, big enough to fit her lunch along with her purse items and other stuff.  I was happy to oblige, especially since this is a sister that I haven't made much for in the past.


The pattern is from the Winsome Baby book by Nancy Halvorsen. The only changes I made were using a magnetic snap closure instead of velcro, making the straps a bit wider and adding more stitching lines, and skipping the accent strip on the outside of the bag.  I also added a layer of fusible fleece to the lining, which made for a bit of a challenge when sewing the bag together in the final steps - thankfully I own a walking foot and a jeans needle.


It turned into quite the thrifty project. My sister picked the blue fabric from my stash, which also happens to be a fabric that was given to me by another sister of mine (she decided she didn't see a future in sewing and gave me all of her fabrics one day). The black fabric is a home-dec weight, and came from my mother-in-laws stash, and the fabric used for the pockets inside were left over from another project.


This was also the first project from start to finish done in my new sewing room!  My fabric is all on shelves now, and I'm pretty happy with how the room is set up.  I just need to hang some things on the walls yet.  I'm also hoping to make a design wall for my quilt blocks - I have a bunch of high-loft batting laying around, but I can't seem to find an online source that says if this will work or not?  Otherwise, I think I'll be wrapping flannel around a board to make one. I just can't see myself using warm n' natural - I'd be too tempted to rip it down when I have a quilt to finish...


11 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said... #

What a beautiful tote! I have warm & natural on my design wall.....and sometimes it can be tempting to use but......too much work to put it back up! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Vera said... #

Neat. Always great to work out of stash.

Shauna said... #

beautiful and practical, great job

Merrilee Rogotzke said... #

Love your tote! I'm sure your sister will too.
Merrilee
http://stitchinpost-blog.blogspot.com/

Jo said... #

It's lovely! I love the colour! And the stitching on the handles is great!

Rose said... #

So very beautifully done. Such a lucky sister you have.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said... #

This is awesome - I love it! Thank you for linking to TGIFF!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said... #

Tote bag is beautiful! You did such a nice job on it!

Lindsey said... #

What a great tote! I am sure she will love it! :)

Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday

Archie The Wonder Dog said... #

It's a lovely bag!

Karen Smith said... #

Love the tote, I need to make one for my Aunt this year but I haven't found a pattern that I love yet.