September 19, 2013

a messenger bag for a new teenager . . .

Our family is close with our neighbors - I babysit their adorable little girl a lot, their older daughter babysits for us, and their son is a sweetheart.  The oldest girl recently gave her karaoke machine to my daughters (which they LOVE and play with all.the.time).  In return, I took her to our local fabric store, and she picked out fabric for a school messenger bag.


The outer black fabric was already quilted, but I fused a layer of interfacing to it.  The lining is a fun Batman print that's been fused with fusible fleece.  And she picked a fun silver and black zebra print for the flap. This is a sturdy bag, big enough for her school binders, has a removable inside pouch (attached with snaps to the inside), some other inside pockets, a swivel clasp for her keys, lots of hardware, some heavy duty interfacing for the base, and it was my first time adding feet (gotta do that again, so easy!).


She loved the bag, and it was finished in time for her birthday - she hits teenager status this weekend.  I'll be working on a second messenger bag next week, and will be posting the tutorial on the Fabri-Quilt blog.


1 comment:

anyadahab said... #

This is a great bag. I will have to look for the tutorial!