July 05, 2013

teaching my girl to sew . . .


My oldest daughter picked out some fat eighths and a half yard at our local quilt shop recently, and decided on an oversized beach tote for herself.


So I cut the strips in half, and then she decided on her layout, and stitched all the strips together.  Then we interfaced the straps and outer bag pieces, and she finished the rest of the stitching to complete her bag.


It was fun teaching her the basic construction of a bag, and seeing her understand why we left a hole in the lining when it was time to turn the bag.


She's pretty proud of it, and can't wait to pick out some more fabric and her next project.




14 comments:

Kat said... #

She did a great job and I love the fabric she picked for the inside of the bag!

Niki said... #

That is adorable!!! She did a terrific job. My daughter looooooooves to peruse the at quarters and eighths at the store. We'll have to try a project like this!

Michelle said... #

It looks great!

Jessica Christensen said... #

Really cute bag, really fun fabrics!

Vicki said... #

It always does my heart good to see the kids sewing! She did an excellent job.

Gweny said... #

Great job! is there a tute? I'm horrible with piecing bags for some silly reason.. lol.. Thanks so much here's my email.
Punkin1028@aol.com
Blesings, Gweny

Unknown said... #

Sue said,
Excellent job Elayna! Love all the fabrics. Very nice machine you have Rebecca! Wow! Now I know why you love sewing so much. :)

legato1958 said... #

I love Elayna's bag! It is so cute!
Well done! I wish I would've learned to sew when I was her age!!

Susie

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said... #

That must have been so much fun for the both you!!

Qltr89 said... #

I am so impressed! You should give her charm packs and a half-yard of fabric for border and another for binding. She'll be quilting in no time. In 2011 I taught my daughter-in-law how to quilt while my son was deployed. I gave her 4 charm packs, 2 were of a particular collection and 2 were Bella solids. She had never touched a sewing machine before and this is what she made. We call it her shabby-chic quilt. She shopped for border and binding fabric in my stash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutu-qltr/8918583194/in/photostream

Janarama said... #

Your daughter did an AWESOME job on her beach tote. Very pretty.

Alisa said... #

Great job, Elayna! She'll be proud to use it!

Sarah Craig said... #

What an awesome bag!! She did a fabulous job! Whoop whoop!!

Karen said... #

She did an awesome job. I love the bag and the fabrics.