October 31, 2012

a baby quilt for the Bloggers Quilt Festival . . .



Blogger’s Quilt Festival Stats
(Entry #524)
Finished quilt measures : 41" square
Quilted by : myself
Best Category : Baby Quilt, Scrap Quilt, Quilt Photography
(if you feel that my quilt would be a worthy nominee for one of these categories, 
you can make your nominations between Nov 1-4 at amyscreativeside.com)


A cousin of mine was given the gift of a sweet baby girl last week.  This cousin and I are the same age, and he has always been one to put a smile on my face, encourage me, and have a good time with.  I have so many great memories from my teens and twenties that include him, and am just thrilled that he now gets to be a Dad.  And I love making baby quilts, and literally got to work on this within hours of the birth announcement. The pattern is a lattice quilt with setting squares.  I couldn't find a tutorial online, so I worked out the measurements myself.  If anyone would like them, just email me at ourbusylittlebunch@hotmail.com.


I didn't have to do any shopping for this quilt - all the fabrics were already in my craft room either waiting for a project or leftover from another one.  The squares are a charm pack of Riley Blake's Happier and my scraps.  The setting squares are a fat quarter of Andover's dimples, the lattice is Kona Snow, the border is Riley Blake's Dainty Blossoms, the binding is a pink solid, and the backing is a super soft flannel from Lila Tueller.


When I trimmed the edges of the quilt, I kept a 1/4" past the points so that when the border was attached, none of the points were lost.


I made a bias binding for this quilt, and used Alisa's method for attaching it.  I was impressed at how quick and easy this was, and found the bias binding to be much easier to work with than straight-cut binding.  I will definitely be using this method again (and if you don't want to burn your thumb while making it like I did, Alisa has lots of beautiful pre-made bindings in her shop).


I'm thrilled to say that this was also a 'no-pins' quilt.  Because it's a pretty basic design, the squares lined up well and I didn't need to pin the rows when I put it together.  I also spray basted this one because it's still a little hard for me to crawl around and pin baste right now.  The quilting is just an all-over meander done on my sewing machine.





Thanks for looking!


12 comments:

Alisa said... #

I like it! But I already told you that. Have a good day! Alisa

CitricSugar said... #

Very cute! Love your fabric choices.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said... #

\Very sweet quilt

Dresden Quilter said... #

It is so sweet!

Sue said... #

Love it! :)

Jessica said... #

I love the colours!

Sarcastic Quilter said... #

this is so softly pretty

Carla said... #

So pretty! Great finish.

Ezgi Onat said... #

So cute! :)

Becky J. said... #

i love it when you have a great scrap collection that works together!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said... #

Lovely quilt for the new precious baby!

Janine said... #

Very pretty baby quilt!