April 27, 2012

Boxed Strings: a made-up quilt block

May is my month in the Joy Do Good Stitches charity bee.  And because I have three little girls, I have a LOT of girly scraps laying around - so I decided on a totally scrappy quilt for this month.  So here is the made-up quilt block I decided on:

First, I dug out some of my girly scraps.

Then I cut out 13" strips in various widths (mine are anywhere from 1.25" to 3"), and laid them out in groups of 7 or 8 (I was making 8 blocks in total).

Then I sewed up all the strips and pressed them.

Then I squared up each block to 12.5".

Then I laid them all out on the floor and admired how pretty my scraps looked all together.

Then I cut my pretty squares in half (2 in one direction, 2 in the opposite direction).

Then I laid out my cut up squares to create my Boxed Strings squares.

Now once everyone in my quilt bee makes all theirs, I can sew all the blocks into a twin-size quilt! I can't wait to see little bits of everyone's girly stash :)

12 comments:

Katy Cameron said... #

Cool, love the mix and match effect

KatieQ said... #

It always amazes me how you can throw so many different fabrics together and they all look fabulous together. I love these blocks.

My Life In Quilts said... #

Very pretty and so easy! Nicely done.

Miri said... #

Adorable!

trish said... #

Your quilt blocks are so pretty! :o)

**nicke... said... #

love this! i want to make some right now.

Ashley said... #

I love this! What a great way to use up scraps :)

Catskill Quilter said... #

Wonderful blocks - and they look very complicated too! I am definitely going to try these...

Sue said... #

Love how you are able to use up all your scraps. Love it! :)

Jana said... #

Love your block. Love your fabrics. Thanks so much for sharing how to do it with us.

Pattilou said... #

Love those new blocks. I'm going to have to give this one a whirl!

Studio V said... #

beautiful!!