January 31, 2012

a couple finishes for January . . .

This lap-sized quilt is a surprise for a friend of mine . . . I won't tell you which one in case she reads my blog.  The pattern is a free online tutorial called Giant Vintage Star from In Color Order.  I did simple straight line quilting on either side of the ditch, which gives a nice design to the back of the quilt too.


The fabrics are a mix of Kumari Garden (which I won from a giveaway from Swell Cloth) and a mix of some other coordinating prints (which I picked out with a gift certificate I won from Modern Fabric Studio).  The batting is the new Eco-Cotton blend from Pellon which was given to me to review a while back.  And the backing is a Mar Bella minky from Fabric.com (I had actually bought it for a different quilt, but ended up making that quilt too large for the piece I ordered).  So in all, this was an almost-free quilt, just the backing was purchased by me (but it was in need of a project anyways).


And my second finish is this quick little table-topper for myself.  The fabric line is from Moda called Arcadia, and the honeybun was a giveaway prize from the SewMamaSew Giveaway Day in December.


Linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and Fabric Tuesday.


15 comments:

Katy Cameron said... #

Love both those projects, especially that star and its fab minky backing

Mrs.Pickles said... #

i love that star thanks for sharing the link i just may give that a go. The table topper is extra cute too!

beaquilter said... #

both are nice quilts, you made me think of this one book I have ( one of my first quilting books) it's called sew on and you're done, it's pretty much enlarge blocks turned into mostly square quilts, I remember making quite a few of those, easy and fast if I remember correctly, may need another for my bucket list.... maybe not.

Alisa said... #

When you showed that quilt top a few weeks ago I thought it was just a 12" block. I laughed when I saw this now! :-) It's very nice and I'm sure your 'friend' will love it!

Sue said... #

Both projects are fabulous! Love the minky on the lap quilt. :)

Elizabeth said... #

Oh, I love that star! I've seen it before and I just love it! The fabrics you used are beautiful!

Love the little table topper as well.

Congrats on a couple of really great finishes! And thank you for linking up!

xo -E

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said... #

seeing your giant star quilt convinced me that I really want to make this quilt too. Well done.

Carla said... #

Love your big star quilt . I like the wrenly fabric in the corners.

Kelsey said... #

Both are great! Love that table topper :)

Rebecca said... #

I love the 8-pointed star block in general. Yours is lovely! I'm making one for myself too. Seeing yours finished gives me motivation to finish mine. :)

ScissorsandThread said... #

Lovely projects, especially like that huge star quilt.

fiberchick said... #

Gorgeous star! I found you through Lynn...

Sandra Kaye said... #

Lovely star, and table topper!! Hugs

Richard Healey said... #

Great Finishes.

http//richardquilts.blogspot.com

Fay said... #

Love them both! Just gorgeous.