December 28, 2011

Sewing Industry: My Reflections + Predictions



    Looking back at the 2011 sewing scene, what trends stand out in your mind?
    Aqua and red - almost makes me want another baby girl so I can make a baby quilt with it . . .

    Lots of solids being incorporated into quilts, I'd love to make a 'solids-only' quilt for my hubby one day . . .
    What were some of your favourite things related to sewing this past year?
    My new Baby GO! that was given to me by the generous folks over at Accuquilt . . .
      And the dies that I need to make much better use of . . 
    What did you make that you’re most proud of? (Share a photo in your post!)
    I'm loving this quilt I just gave away for Christmas.  I think I need to make another . . .
    What sewn projects have you seen this year that you absolutely love?
    I've been in awe of the cathedral windows quilts floating around.  I hope I have the skills and patience one day . . .
    Do you have a favorite sewing book or pattern from the past year to recommend?
    LOVE this book that I received last month, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in bag making . . .
    Are there any trends you’re over and done with?
    I feel like I might offend someone out there, but the whole big white space and random spacing on quilts is not really my thing . . . I guess I'm more of a symmetrical quilter, and love it when the quilt shows off the fabric prints.
    What are your thoughts about social media? How is it going for you? What do you love or hate?
    I haven't really jumped on the Twitter and Pinterest wagons yet, but I love browsing Flickr and am a faithful blog reader.  Seeing the new fabric lines and what people create with them is so inspiring!
    Did you have a favorite fabric collection or print in 2011?
    There were so many beautiful new lines, and Aviary2 is one that jumps to my mind pretty quickly . . .
    What do you predict for 2012 in the sewing industry?
    Hopefully more beautiful fabrics, and more quilt designs.  And I would LOVE to see a blog hop for some bias tape makers (just like Accuquilt did with the Baby GO!) . . . this would be so handy for preparing quilt binding . . .
    Can you tell us what to expect from you in 2012? Any big projects or life-changing goals?
    I hope to continue creating quilts, bags, clothes and totes for friends and family (and hoping that my little guy keeps napping till he hits kindergarten so I can find the time to sew) . . .

9 comments:

Katy Cameron said... #

Love the review with pics! If you want to try cathedral windows, Kim over at My Go Go Life has a tutorial for a cathedral windows pincushion - I tried it as my very first attempt at them, and it was amazingly easy :o) http://gogokim.blogspot.com/2011/12/cathedral-window-pin-cushion-tutorial.html

Lindsay Conner said... #

I'd love to know more about Bias Tape makers, too. :) I'd love for you to link up your post at Craft Buds if you'd like! http://www.craftbuds.com/craft-buds-2011-year-in-review-link-party/

Jen said... #

Hi Rebecca! This was a pretty cool post! I love cathedral windows too...yesterday I watched a youtube video and was all gung-ho to start...but chose sleep instead. Maybe today's the lucky day:)
Loved your collage of projects...impressive!

@pril said... #

This was a really great post. Thanks for sharing.

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com

Margaret said... #

Love your post. I would also like to know more about the Bias tape maker. I am planning to do the FMQ 2012. Challenge. I am just starting to learn and am hoping to be able to quilt my own quilts. I also want to learn to design my own quilt patterns and blocks. Thanks for your blog. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Little Penpen said... #

thanks for responding to my question on the block swap blog. I think I'm going to sit down and study some online shops and start ordering!! :-)

Christina Marie said... #

I really really love the cathedral windows too! I hope to at least make a pillow cover with them, and then maybe move on to bigger projects...
Great post! :o)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said... #

Great recap! I am always so bad at doing wrap-ups! :) I am really inspired by all your adorable dress making!! I really hope this is the year of the quilt and possibly some garment sewing for me!

Happy New Year to you!!!
Maureen

AnnieK said... #

Hubby got me the Simplicity bias tape maker for Christmas (because a] he totally rocks, and b] he was very concerned about the number of times I was scorching myself with my iron, making my own binding). I LOVE it. You should all go get one. Right now. I'm not even kidding.