October 05, 2011

Oliver+s toddler backpack . . .

I've been wanting to make my little guy his first backpack (since he's big enough to carry his own stuff around now, and toting around my flowered diaper bag just isn't that cute).  This pattern is from the book Little Things to Sew by Liesl Gibson.  I found this pattern very easy to follow, and I think the results are super-cute.  And my little man is happy to have a backpack that is just his size (and isn't a hand-me-down with princesses on it :)
I followed the basic directions for the backpack, but didn't customize it into the penguin (obviously).  I also enlarged the outer front pocket and added elastic to the top edge, and pleated the bottom edge ~ I wanted it to fit a sippy cup, because we still take one with us wherever we go and I don't like worrying about cups leaking on his stuff.






If you want to see a bunch more of these cute little backpacks, check out the link up at a little gray


5 comments:

Grandma G said... #

That's adorable! And I love your sippy cup pocket! Your little man's pretty cute, too. :)

Alisa said... #

It turned out great! So cute.

Cindy said... #

The backpack looks wonderful! I like how it looks with the contrasting side panels.

Meryl said... #

I'm a big ole' geek about monograms, so I love your little "J" on the pocket!

SarahB said... #

How cute! Love that you added an elastic pocket for a sippy cup! I wanted to add something for a little water bottle or sippy on my little guy's but with the appliqués I did I just couldn't fit one in. Next time!