August 19, 2011

small projects and a big fabric purchase . . .

This Summer has been fun, but busy. We've spent time camping, swimming, playing, and learning. And my kids and I have never been this tanned before. I've caught an hour here and there in my craft room, and in some ways I'm looking forward to getting more time in there with the school year starting, but for now I'm going to keep enjoying these kids being home.
This little tote was made using this pattern, but I adjusted the measurements to make it a bit bigger, added some interior pockets, and a snap closure. I'm not sure who it's for, I just wanted to try out the pattern.
And our minivan needed a new engine this Summer, and a generous family in our church let us borrow theirs until it was fixed. She had a box of cards and notes in her van, and the box was broken so I made a fabric box to replace it. My oldest daughter helped pick out the fabrics for this one.
And here's my big fabric purchase for the year. These are all half yard cuts (had to take advantage of how many yards can fit in a flat rate envelope, right?) and I'm hoping to stockpile some purses and totes for birthday gifts. The top row is all from the Feeling Groovy line by Riley Blake, the second row is an assortment of designers, and the bug print on the bottom is for a backpack for my little guy. I took advantage of the buy three, get one free sale from the Sproutz Store for these.

6 comments:

Catherine said... #

what a fabulous selection of fabric-very jealous!

BeeSewSweet said... #

That fabric sure is gorgeous! I love the tote. I think I'll try that pattern. Thanks!

Sara said... #

Hope you are able to get your minivan fixed soon and God Bless that family that helped ya'll out!!

Riley Blake is great isn't she?!

Sarah Craig said... #

Love the tote bag; very sweet gesture to make with the card basket, plus it's gorgeous! And I love your fabric choices. Looks like you'll be having fun playing with all that this fall! Whoop whoop!!

Vroomans' Quilts said... #

Good for you in enjoying your summer with family. Love the tote and oh, the fabric buys!!

Sue said... #

The tote is so cute! and I'm sure that you will have fun with all the great fabric you got! :)