February 05, 2013

WIP Wednesday from my 5 year old . . .

My baby girl decided she needed another quilt today.  Something soft on the back, and colorful on top.  A yard of cream flannel in my stash was decided on and laid down for the backing.  Then she spotted some charm packs of solids on the shelf in my craft room, so I let her start playing with them.  She quickly decided that she wanted the colors to stay separate, and since the main charm pack she was working from was already in light to dark color order, she started laying them out.


I helped her add in a couple blocks for colors that she needed more of, but she did most of the work herself.  Too bad I didn't think to pull out the camera as she concentrated on laying them all out.  When she was done, she ran upstairs to grab the camera and wanted a picture of the layout (maybe she's seen me do this a couple times?  I like to take a quick picture in case the blocks get mixed up later).


She then helped me sew a bit, and was great at bringing me the next row, laying out the finished and pressed rows, and stayed to help right until the quilt top was assembled.  I pin-basted it after she went to bed, and hope to quilt it another night this week - I have specific instructions to make flowers and hearts in my quilting.  I've been wanting to try something new with my free motion, so it will be fun to try it out on a small quilt.


12 comments:

Pat Merkle said... #

Wonderful quilt top! Your daughter should be VERY proud of her work!

charlotte said... #

Very nice. Looks like a new generation of quilter is coming along.

Anna @FreshDewDrops said... #

Darling!

Heather D. said... #

That's VERY sweet Rebecca! She looks so very pleased.

Anonymous said... #

You have both done a beautiful job. I love the colours of this quilt.

Chris said... #

So very sweet.

Ginette said... #

What a great story and an awesome quilt! I love sharing my passion with my girls! I also love hearing about others experiences creating with their little ones!

Jenelle said... #

What a fun project to work on together! I really like the rainbow charms too. :) Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday.

Linda said... #

Love it!! How wonderful that you have something to do together...great job!!

Kat said... #

She did a great job with the colors! This will be a cute quilt.

Lucy said... #

what an adorable quilt and adorable daughter :)

Lucy xxx
http://blog.crazyforpurple.com

Christina Marie said... #

I just love how you always have the perfect fabric in your stash..... I would use the request as an excuse to go fabric shopping again! ;o)
I also wanted to thank you for the freebies you sent my way.... I love it all and will definitely share what I make with my prize! (once I decide.... :o)