November 03, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival . . .

The Fall Bloggers Quilt Festival is going on right now at Amy's Creative Side and here is my submission . . .

This quilt is probably my favourite I've made, and mostly because of who I made it for.  My maternal grandmother (my Oma) has always been my closest grandparent.  We lived nearby growing up, visited often, and have so many great memories that include her and my Opa.  Then, when I was a teenager they moved 12 hours away, but I followed only a couple years later.  It was wonderful being close to them again, and we visited often.  And after my first daughter was born, I settled into a weekly coffee visit at their house in addition to seeing them at church on Sundays.  But then my husband took a job back in my hometown, so we moved and we were once again 12 hours apart.  Whenever we visit, we try to stay a few nights at their home (they have a whole finished basement that we take advantage of).  But last year, the Lord took my dear Opa to Himself, and my Oma is now continuing on without him; but with the grace and strong character that I've always loved about her.


And as far back as I can remember, my Oma has had a pair of knitting needles or crochet hooks in her hands.  She loves to create baby gifts, blankets, coasters, and sweaters; and the sound of those needles clicking is a familiar one in her home.  MANY times, I have given her yarn and a pattern and asked her to make something for me or for one my kids, and she always gives a little smile, and an "Oh, sure."  Making a quilt for her in return made me think of all those times, and how many countless hours she spent working on something for me.


This quilt is a 'copycat' of one that a friend made, I saw it and right away thought the design and colours were perfect for my Oma.  I love being part of a quilting and blogging community, and getting inspiration when I'm not even looking for it.  The pattern can be found here (but I used a diamond ruler that I bought at JoAnns), and the fabric is a retired line from Connecting Threads.  I quilted on either side of the ditch, and used a solid brown flannel for the backing.


So when my Oma reads this (she loves checking up on her grandchildren's blogs), I hope you're still enjoying this quilt, and please know that I think of you lots!  Love you!

23 comments:

Lonci said... #

This quilt is fantastic, very nice:))

Lee D said... #

You are so lucky to be close to your Oma. (Dutch or German?)your quilt is fabulous.

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

Oh what a lovely story and lovely quilt! My children call my mum 'Ooma'- sweet x

BunkHouseQuilts said... #

I really love the colors of your quilt. Your story was so nice. Thanks for sharing it!

tusen said... #

It's a lovely quilt and you are right that making it for your Oma makes it even more special.

Unknown said... #

Beautiful! What a fond memory!

trish said... #

Your quilt is so beautiful and such a special gift for someone so dear. :o)

Hilachas said... #

Oh what a beautiful story and what a beautiful quilt. Thanks for telling us about your Oma.

Pat Merkle said... #

What a wonderful story and a beautiful quilt!Thank you for sharing!

Grandma G said... #

Lovely quilt, and even better story! I had a 'special' grandma, too, and you brought back memories. Your last photo brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said... #

What a lovely gift! I'm sure as a maker herself, she really appreciated the thought and effort that went into such a lovely quilt!

Heather D. said... #

Oh, what a wonderful story. And the quilt is gorgeous. :)

Taya@TypeB said... #

Such a great quilt and an ever better story behind it! Definitely putting this on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing!

Marlynn said... #

Love, Love, Love the quilt!

Rebecca Lynne said... #

Love this quilt! How beautiful...and I am so glad it is getting so much love. Thank you so much for sharing such a gorgeous story...

Mom said... #

Love the diamonds~

Margaret
msolomo1@maine.rr.com
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Gene Black said... #

I recognized the fabric right away. Now I wish I had bought that line. You did a fantastic job. I am sure Oma is loving this quilt.

Janet said... #

So sweet - I wish I had an Oma in my life. The quilt you made her is beautiful!

**nicke... said... #

that is the sweetest ever! totally cried at that last picture! my gramma R was really special to me. i miss her so much. what a wonderful treasure that is to her.

Allison said... #

this is a beautiful quilt, with a wonderful story. love that your Oma reads her grandchildren's blogs :)

Selfsewn said... #

It is a beautiful quilt and a really sweet story, thanks.

stitchinpenny said... #

Lovely quilt.

SarahZ said... #

What a beautiful quilt and story! You are both so blessed to have each other!