January 17, 2014

making quicker cuts . . .

A big part of quilting is accuracy in cutting, and over the years I've accumulated some great quilting rulers. My basics are my 6" x 24" and 12.5" square; and some other favorites are my Diamond, Scallop, and Fat Cats. A little while ago, I bought a Slotted Ruler with my 50% off coupon at Joann's and it has been fantastic for cutting binding. I used it again today on some flannel  fat quartets for a baby quilt.




I'd love to hear if anyone has another favorite ruler, I'm hoping to add some more to my collection this year.

4 comments:

Stephanie said... #

I have that same ruler. I use it all the time for binding too! It is really nice to have. I would recommend it especially with a coupon!

Terry@ a quilting blog said... #

My favorite rulers are from Creative Grids…I especially love the Fat Quarter Cutter.

Material Girl said... #

I have that ruler, it is great when cutting lots of strips. I have two other favorites. One is the 4"X8" Omnigrid as it has the 1/8 markings for my minis. My other favorite is made by Fons and Porter and you cut your strips, then use the ruler to cut halfsquare triangles or quarter/ hourglass pieces. You end up with dog ears only on one side so not much trimming. If you do a consistent quarter inch, these come out amazingly accurate. If I am not mistaken, Bonnie Hunteruses a similar one called Easy Angle. That one only does half square triangles.

Sandy said... #

I recently bought an Altos Quilt Cut II and it has been the best thing I have ever spent money on when it comes to cutting. It was expensive but totally worth it!