April 30, 2013

some bag making tips . . .

A request for a book bag from a birthday girl produced this tote last week.  Below are some tips that I've learned over the years that have helped my bag-making to go quicker and look more professional.


I wanted this bag to have lots of structure, so a fusible interfacing was used for the outer fabric, and a fusible fleece for the lining.  I prefer this method, because it gives the outer fabric more structure, but the overall bag is still soft.


For the straps, I like to cut them four times the width of the finished strap.  Then I iron them in half, and iron both halves again to center (for this bag, 6" wide straps were cut, producing a 1.5" finished width).  I don't like to interface my straps, and find this thickness is great; but the real trick is to do lots of stitch lines to make it feel nice and strong.  I first sew close to each long edge, and then sew about every 1/4" after that, just using guides on my presser foot to line up the rows of stitches.


After the bag has been turned right-side out, I press the top edge first.  Then, for top-stitching I use my walking foot, a longer stitch length (3.0 on my machine), move my needle to the right a bit, and then line up the groove of the presser foot against the edge of the bag to keep in a straight line, while also keeping close to the edge of the bag.


This is a very basic bag, but I hoped it showed the finished look of some of the tips I listed above.  Bag-making is something I really enjoy, and I haven't carried a store-bought purse in years.  There is so much inspiration and patterns available online, that it's always fun to pick which one to make next.  Plus it's a great way to tote around some favorite fabrics!

If you have any other tips to share, please post them in the comments below!

14 comments:

Heather D. said... #

I've had my eye on the Aeroplane bag by Sew Sweetness, but it calls for all kinds of interfacing that I'm not familiar with and don't think I can get locally. That's what stresses me out about bag making - I want the results that the pattern shows, but I've had a few disappointing ones when I've used interfacings other than what's called for. So I appreciate your tips!!

Mareenchen said... #

Great tips. I've not yet thought of stiching my straps several rows, although I also prefer to cut x4 and fold. :)

Anonymous said... #

i haven't attempted a bag yet, but these tips are great to have in my back pocket

Tania Grim said... #

Thats a really nice tote bag. I want one! :) the bag in the post below is also very nice.

Pavitra Chakravarty said... #

Excellent tips...any recs for which fusible interfacing to use?

Lisa C said... #

Very cute bag and great tips. Thanks for sharing.

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said... #

Great tips and super cute bag.
Amandak@whatthebobbin

Archie The Wonder Dog said... #

Your bag is wonderful!

ipatchandquilt said... #

Thank you for all of these tips!
Esther
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Dee said... #

Wow! It looks professionally made! I have trouble with bags and your tips will be. Very helpful! Thank you and the bag is just sew sweet for a birthday gift!

Elizabeth said... #

That is such a cute bag! I love the colors and your tips are awesome! Congrats on a really great finish and thank you for linking up!

xo -E

mary mahoo said... #

Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to try your interfacing/fleece combo on my next bag, and try out the strap tip too. I didn't like the feel of the last bag I made with the fusible in the straps, and this looks like a great fix. Thanks again.

Unknown said... #

Super cute!! Do you share your pattern or where you got it?

Unknown said... #

Super cute pattern, do you share your pattern or where you got it from?