December 27, 2011

A quilt for my big sis . . .


Now that Christmas is over, I can show some of the presents I've been working on!  This quilt was my 'big project' this year.  We pick names between my parents and siblings, and this is for my 'twin' sister (we share a birthday but we're actually 2 years apart).


The quilt pattern is called New Wave by Oh, Fransson! and the fabric is from the Cloud9 Across the Pond collection with a solid white organic fabric for the sashing.  The backing is an extra-wide solid blue flannel.


I straight-line quilted, and used my foot as a guide on either side of the ditch.  I love this method - more forgiving than in-the-ditch, and I love the way the quilting looks on the back of the quilt.  I forgot to take the finished measurements but it is a very generous lap-size, almost a twin.  


And I'm happy to say that with four siblings, I now have only one left to make a quilt for!  I made this one for my brother in 2009 and this one for my little sister in 2010/11.  So now I just have my oldest sister left to make one for - hopefully it will get done in the new year.

18 comments:

Toni said... #

Beautiful quilt, Rebecca! I love that pattern and have it high on my list to try. I bet your sister loved it!

Lindsay@fortheloveofcotton said... #

That quilt is absolutely beautiful! I am so putting this on my to-do list for 2011! Happy New Year!

Gene Black said... #

Hmmm... I don't like cutting templates, but I think I can improvise on this and use tumbler die cut and sash it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa said... #

That is stunning - your sister is so lucky!

Terry@ a quilting blog said... #

Beautiful quilt....love your choice of fabric!!!! TFS

Katy said... #

That is stunning. I love the pattern and your fabrics :) The colours are beautiful.

Katy
x

Rosa said... #

Congratulations,it`s absolutely wonderful!

Katy Cameron said... #

Love that pattern, and great choice of fabric! My dad's family has lots of birthday twins and also rans too - he and my aunt share a birthday, his brothers are 364 days apart and his parents were a week apart!

Carla G said... #

What a gorgeous quilt! Your sister is lucky!! I love the fabrics you used and the quilting looks cool on the back too! :)

**nicke... said... #

i love it. perfect fabric and pattern! i bet she loves it! wish you were my sister! ;)

Vesuviusmama said... #

Lucky sibs to get a quilt from you! This one is fabulous!

Anne said... #

It is a lovely quilt. I've made quilts for two of my three siblings too.

Julzie said... #

Beautiful quilt....can I be your twin??? That backing looks lovely and snuggly too, great job :)

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said... #

this is so beautiful! I'd love you to add this (and any other posts you like) to my What We Wore and Made Party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

Melissa {polkadot chair} said... #

This is beautiful! Thank you so much for linking up! I love the white contrast border with the "waves" - your machine quilting is awesome!!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said... #

this is beautiful. I love the colors and the pattern

The Cozy Pumpkin said... #

Great color combos!!!

-Amanda-

tobecontinued said... #

Love this pattern! I haven't seen it before.