September 09, 2011

a Rolie Polie quilt . . .

I received an Alphabet Soup Rolie Polie and whipped up a quick little quilt for a babe due to arrive this month.
This Riley Blake line is so fun, and I'm always drawn to their fabric lines with bright colours.
Here's the directions if you want to make one yourself:

  • divide the fabrics into two sets of 7 (I left the solid white strip out)
  • sew the 7 strips together in each set
  • cut up each set into 3 quilt blocks and square them off (mine were 14")
  • lay out the blocks how you like, and sew them together.
  • sandwich, quilt, and bind
I used a non-pill fleece for the backing and instead of binding it, I wrapped it to the front and machine-stitched it down.  This is a great way to finish off a quilt quickly.  And I like using fleece or minky for a baby quilt, because I can just skip the batting layer.  And the quilting is very forgiving because it sinks into the backing so nicely.

After washing, the finished measurement on this quilt was 40" x 27" ~ a great size to wrap up a little one, and have them drag it around with them when they get a bit bigger.

13 comments:

**nicke... said... #

so cute!

Alisa said... #

I like it! My rollie pollie turned into 8 bibs. All of which are gone.

needle and nest said... #

So cute! And I love the name of this quilt! :)

Gene Black said... #

That is a sweet little quilt!

Vroomans' Quilts said... #

Very cute and simple quilt to make up in a flash. Lovely finish.

memmens said... #

I received one too and have been wondering what to do with it this is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Carla said... #

Adorable! Great name too.

Sarah Craig said... #

What a great little baby quilt! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, too! Whoop whoop!!

Karen said... #

What a great idea! Very cute quilt. I love that is quick to make.

Sandy said... #

Found you from your link at Sew Many Ways... I love this quilt. And I also love your idea about using flannel or minky for the back of a baby quilt. I am new to quilting and sometimes have a hard time with all those layers, so I am definitely going to try this! Thanks so much for sharing it.

OhioLori said... #

I found you thru Sew Many Ways too!! Cool!

LOVE this lil' quilt!! ADORABLE!!!What a Blessing you are, to be sharing how to make it!! HUGE Thank You Hugs!!! :)

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said... #

Love the quilt! Thanks to Sew Many Ways for sharing.

How long and wide are the strips to start with?

LakeMom 2009 said... #

I LOVE this pattern! How would you make it work for a full jelly roll (40 strips)? Thanks in advance!