March 18, 2014

Mystic Forest duffel bag...

My oldest daughter turns 11 today! And for part of her birthday gift, I sewed up a duffel bag for her.  She will be using this for some upcoming overnight trips, but I wouldn't be surprised if she also starts using it as a school bag.


The outer fabric is one of Fabri-Quilt's pre-quilted fabrics - they have a huge selection of prints to choose from. The fabric line is called Mystic Forest, and the coordinating purple print is from the same line.  My daughter actually picked out these fabrics some time ago, but they been forgotten about and re-discovered when I moved everything to my new craft room recently.


The pattern I used is from the Sew Serendipity Bags book by Kay Whitt.  The only change I made was adding an adjustable cross-body strap to the bag, and shortening the smaller straps. I think it looks more like a duffel this way, and less like a diaper bag.  I also stitched her name, 'Elayna' to the outside of one of the outer pockets.


Tonight we're celebrating with her favorites - chinese food for dinner, and ice cream for dessert. Looking forward to it since they're my favorites too :)


9 comments:

Sue said... #

Beautiful! She won't be outgrowing the print choice, which is always nice.

Motherdragon's Musings said... #

Beautiful colours, and fabric pattern, you daughter will be proud to show off her bag.

Willow River Piecemakers said... #

Wonderful bag! I am sure she will totally love it! Sharp fabrics!

Lorna McMahon said... #

Happy Birthday, Elayna! Hope you all had a wonderful birthday dinner! The bag is so gorgeous. And roomy! Love the stitching. You did a great job, Rebecca!

Allison said... #

fantastic bag!

suemac said... #

Such a nice colorful bag.

Vicki said... #

What a fantastic bag!

ChrisW Designs said... #

Gorgeous bag! I absolutely LOVE your fabric choices...if my daughter saw it, she would definitely want one! :)

The nosy pepper said... #

This is so, so cute!! I love it! I have that book and this is one pattern I haven't made out of it, but after seeing yours I am itching to make one too! Beautiful job!