February 11, 2013

Vintage fabric store and quilts . . .

Last week I got the chance to go on a field-trip with my middle daughters' class.  We went to a town that is all set in the 1920's.  The shops and houses were filled with original items from that era.  The staff were all dressed in outfits from that time, and most of the students and chaperones also dressed up for the occasion.  My daughter came across my grade seven graduation dress in a box in my craft room recently and thought it was perfectly old-fashioned.  It fit her ankle length and has lots of lace and ribbon detail, and a built-in crinoline.


The town included a fabric store filled with vintage fabrics and notions.  It was fun to see how many prints were back in style; I would've been quite happy to take several home with me.


My daughter took part in a little role-play skit in the fabric shop, here's a pic of her measuring out some ribbon yardage for her 'customer'.

In the houses that we toured, the beds all had quilts on them.  Some of the details and stitching on the quilts were just beautiful.



I didn't realize that this field-trip would turn out to be eye-candy for a quilter, and am so glad to have had the chance to go.



There was even a vintage sewing machine on display.  Maybe one day I'll have a sewing room big enough to have one of these to decorate it with :)


8 comments:

Nina said... #

What a nice field trip! Can you share where this house is located? It sounds like a place I would love to visit.

Me and My Stitches said... #

What a great field trip! I love the picture of your daughter measuring - so cute!

Linda said... #

What a great field trip! I used to love to go on those with my boys...fun times! Wonderful pictures too! You daughter is a cutie!! have a great day!!

Alisa said... #

You look cute, Rebecca! Did you by chance get a photo of Deanna?

Elaine said... #

what a wonderful trip! your daughter shows some skills with that measuring tape, but then again, she knows how to play with values in that rainbow quilt she put together too! how fun that she loves what you do!

Gmama Jane said... #

Loved sharing your field trip. Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm new to your blog via another blog who had you on their blogroll!! Hope you will come visit me as well
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Gmama Jane said... #

Oops, my blog is
Grandmama's Stories
http://grandmamasstories.blogspot.com

Gmama Jane

charlotte said... #

What fun! I love a good field trip. Sounds like yours was great!