March 26, 2012

Mini Clutch Tutorial

These mini clutches  were a big hit at my daughter's birthday party, and my daughters have found lots of uses for theirs.  So I thought I'd do up a little tutorial in case anyone else wants to make some.

First, cut out your pieces:
From the outer fabric, lining, and batting - cut one main piece 8.5" x 10"
From the outer fabric, lining, and batting - cut one flap piece 8" x 3.5"

Prepare your flap piece:
First, find something round and use it to cut the bottom edges of the flap pieces in a curve.
If you'd like to use an elastic loop and button closure, center the elastic on the outer flap fabric and place between the outer fabric and lining, right sides together. Layer the batting on top.
Sew all three layers together with a 1/4" seam allowance.
Clip curves, turn right-side out and press.  Topstitch close to the edge.  Put aside for now.

Prepare your main pieces:
Layer the outer fabric on a piece of batting and fold in half, with outer fabric right-sides together.  Stitch on side edges with a 1/4" seam.
Fold lining piece in half and sew side edges with a 1/4" seam, but this time leave a 2" opening on one of the side edges (to turn the clutch right-side out through later).
Push out one of the corners and mark a 2" line across and sew on line.  Clip corner.  Repeat for both corners of outer and lining pieces.

Attach flap to outer piece:
Find the center of the flap and the main outer piece and pin together.  Sew a scant 1/4" from edge.

Assemble bag:
Place the outer main piece inside of lining, right-sides together.  Stitch top edge with a 3/8" seam.

Finish bag:
Turn right-side out through opening in lining.  Stitch opening closed by machine.  Put lining into main bag, push out corners, and press top-edge.  Topstitch close to top edge.
Now just put on a pretty button and you're done!  You can also use a button-hole and button closure, a snap, or even velcro.

This one is for myself, perfect for a couple things I want to keep together so they're easier to transfer between purses.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections to the steps above - THANKS!

Linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and Fabric Tuesday.

37 comments:

Celtic Thistle said... #

Nice bags, can see why your daughters loved them!

Laura said... #

Oh, I came over from Fabric Tuesday - Love so many things about your blog! I never made a bag before - maybe I can try your tutorial.

~Laura

beaquilter said... #

very cute and simple

the gathering girls said... #

very nice tutorial! thank you

Anonymous said... #

Great little tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said... #

Great bag & thanks for the tutorial, I love the fabric you used! :-)

LisaAnn said... #

I found your tutorial from QuiltStory! The clutch is so cute!

**nicke... said... #

great tutorial rebecca! thanks for sharing, pinning now!

Rosa said... #

Very cute and easy to follow.Thanks for sharing!

Kirsten said... #

I love these little pouches - and that you don't need to do a zip for them either:)

Vesuviusmama said... #

I'll be making these for some twin girls who are turning 8 this weekend to fill with other homemade goodies. Thanks for the tute!

Maria Filomena said... #

beatiful clutch!!!

Maria Filomena

Sonia Facion said... #

Hi!!!

Very good !!!

Sonia

O meu pensamento viaja said... #

Lovely bag!
Thank you for sharing the tutorial.
xoxo
Nina

AbbottsGrl07 said... #

Just made my first bag following your tutorial!!! It is so cute! I can't wait to make many more. Thank you for sharing!

Toni M said... #

This is REALLY cute! I think I'll make a few in various colors for my girls, but also make some for diaper clutches. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. :-) www.workathomeunited.com/jtmcdonald

Unknown said... #

I made two of these yesterday the first was a fail ( lesson learned, read the measurements carefully lol)
The second one is wonderful, I love it!!!
I made it using a canvas like fabric for the oustide and a linen like fabric for the lining. I turned out perfect. I didn't use the batting, I was trying to avoid the extra bulk.
thank you for sharing the tutorial!!

Emily said... #

I just found this tutorial on Pinterest. Love, love, love! I think I might start one of these tomorrow!

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said... #

I LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing! I might try to make one as a Secret Santa gift at school!

Karen said... #

Love the bag and the tutorial,it's very thorough and it could be customized to the user's personality. My idea is to make a shoulder strap from ribbon and sew it to each side so you could carry it that way as well (you can tuck it inside when you need a clutch.) I tend to put things down and not remember to pick them back up. Who hasn't not that? Thanks for sharing!

Nueyer said... #

Lovely! Nice choice of fabric too =)

chicastic said... #

So nice of you for sharing this brilliant idea. I am surely going to give it a try to Evening Clutch Bags

Stephany said... #

I found this on Pinterest and am making some for my mother as a Mother's Day gift. I am making 3 in different sizes. Thank you for the tutorial!

Anonymous said... #

These look really nice, I particularly like the one with the green flower. Thanks for sharing.

beth ciai said... #

Obrigado por compartilhar, vou fazer, achei gostei ela ficou linda vou fazer....beijos.

Unknown said... #

HELLO !!!

I am from Brazil... and I love this !!!
Thanks =)

Anonymous said... #

Thank you for the pattern - I can see this coming in handy at Christmas time!
I have linked to you on my blog - http://alittlebirdmademe.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/a-list-of-30-free-tutorials-and-patterns-for-wallets-and-pouches/

nadine said... #

Thanks very much for this lovely tutorial! Very well explained, and the result is just fabulous!

Anonymous said... #

Thanks for sharing. Karin from the Netherlands.

Rosa said... #

Very clear tutorial! Thank you Rebecca!
Hugs from Italy!

Juani said... #

Gracias, muy buen tutorial.
Un beso.

Sheri said... #

Thanks so much for the great tutorial and pictures. The bags are so cute. You have inspired me.

Unknown said... #

lovely tutorial. its so easy cant wait to make my very own purse.thank you so much. :)

Unknown said... #

I love your tutorial and I would like to make one. Would I need a sewing machine to do this? Unfortunately, I do not have one.

Unknown said... #

I gave my 9 year old grandaughtera sewing machine for her birthday, and these pouches are going to be her first project. she wants to make 7 of them for family members next Christmas. She picked out several different fabrics today, and decided to do the flap in coordinating print. She also wants to embroider the recipients initial on the flap. Thank you for sharing your idea. So nice not to have to pay a fee!

Meena Shivaram said... #

hello,
I love the purse and I'm eager to make one. I'm new to sewing; never done it before. I've a question - can I use felt for batting?

Thanks,
Meena.

Mara said... #

These are really cute! Thanks for the tutorial.