February 10, 2012

planning out a king-sized quilt . . .

I have been wanting to make a king-sized quilt for our bed for some time, and decided to make it my 'quilting goal' for 2012.  So far, these three prints will be included, and now I'm trying to decide on patterns.  I want to make a large focal block in the middle, but not sure if a lone-star is my style, or maybe a one-block swoon quilt like this one (but add some borders to make it bigger)?  I need to purchase a couple solids yet to go with these prints, I was thinking of grey and a dark green.  Does anybody else dream of quilt blocks and fabric combinations at night when they're planning a new quilt?

11 comments:

Danny Heyen said... #

You brave girl!!

Stacy Lindblom said... #

What is that green print? It's divine!!!!!!!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said... #

That is going to make a beautiful quilt!! Do you have a pattern picked out yet. I love greens...

Leo said... #

you could also go for a major contrast and use blood red or pumpkin orange for the solids. But that's just my love for colours talking .. my subconciousness.

Sue said... #

Love the fabrics you have so far and that dark green and grey solids would round out the quilt nicely. :) Thought you guys had a queen size bed? Or has it been too long since I have been to your place.... ;)

Tania Grim said... #

Oh wow a king size scares me, I had a hard enough time doing Madisons twin . I love the fabrics though!

trish said... #

Your quilt will be gorgeous! :o)

barbara woods said... #

i plan quilt blocks all day long and at nite .it must be catching

Terry@ a quilting blog said... #

Great fabrics you've picked out so far. Look forward to seeing the process as you work on this quilt.
~Terry~

Katy Cameron said... #

Oh I totally dream of quilt blocks! Quilt Jane did an ENORMOUS single Swoon recently (http://quiltjane.blogspot.com/2012/02/swoon-quilt-top-finished.html), that was 80" square without borders, so that would get you well on the way :o)

Anonymous said... #

I love the colors and wish you the best! I found it challenging to sew up a queen size one. =)