August 05, 2014

MODKID Quilted Sun and Surf Totes

MODKID is a brand created by Patty Young. Her fabrics are bright and her patterns are fun. She has been hosting a sewalong on her blog for her Sun and Surf Tote, and since I love making bags, and could use a new beach tote - I jumped right in.  I ended up making two totes, and just cut out a third one today. This was a quick pattern, and I'm loving the results.


For my first tote, I used up two orphan herringbone quilt blocks. I sashed and quilted them, and made them into the main panels.  The little floral fabric for the sides, trim, and lining is from Wholeport.com. The ribbon on the strap is from MODKID.



The second tote used up some flowers from a panel I had in my craft room. I sashed it with one of Patty's fabrics, quilted it, and found some other coordinating prints in my stash. This tote is being donated to a local charity auction.



The grommets were super-easy to install (they just snap together), and the buttons are fun. Both can be purchased from the MODKID Etsy shop.

11 comments:

Anonymous said... #

Oh I love totes with a flat solid bottom. Makes it easier to get the thing to stand and not spill everything inside. These came out great!

Vera said... #

What a yummy colors! Pretty!

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said... #

I just love the way these turned out!! Your creative fabric choices and piecing really make them stand out. Thanks for sewing along with us!!

Patty Young said... #

I adore both totes, Rebecca! Thank you so much for sewing along with us!!

Vicki said... #

These are both wonderful. Love the grommets.

Lisa in Port Hope said... #

Fantastic fabric selections! Enjoy using your tote and have a sunny summer!

Lana said... #

So pretty...and I do like the design especially with the straps!

SuperMomNoCape said... #

These are soooo beautiful. You did a wonderful job of choosing fabrics for them.

Dawn said... #

So cute! Your last photo looks like an owl!!

illistyle said... #

I love the yellow one! Thanks for linking up with The Caffeinated Crafters this week!

Renee said... #

What lovely, well shaped bags! I bet they will get lots of compliments when in use :-)