September 07, 2011

My first 'big boy' quilt . . .

My 'little' guy is having his second birthday this Friday ~ yes, he was born 09/09/09, which I didn't think was very 'cool' at the time because the little stinker was 12 days overdue.  The hubby and I were at Ikea a little while ago and saw this bed.  So I've been looking on Craigslist since then, and found one in great condition for half the price.  The little guy helped in the assembling process last night . . .
And now I can play with these fabris that I've been saving for his first 'big boy' quilt.  I'm thinking of cutting apart the panel (there's 8 blocks in total), bordering them, and cutting them wonky.  Any tips are appreciated, I've never done a wonky quilt before.  The fabrics are from the original Animal Party line by Amy Schimler and the backing fabric is a coordinating minky cuddle from Robert Kaufman.
So hopefully there will be a quilt on this bed soon!

8 comments:

Canadian Abroad said... #

I love 09/09/09 because I had my ninth wedding anniversary that day. We never realised the coincidence until the date came near. Hope he has a happy birthday!

Alisa said... #

Great find for the bed! Nothing like having that staring you in the face to get you motivated to make the quilt. It'll look great!@



I
'm having tr


ouble commenting because my little guy is being a trouble maker. :-) See you on Friday!

ritainalaska said... #

good bed for little boys! hubby made bunks like this for our boy at two, but he put drawers on rollers under the lower bed. the next year or so, he hid from his pesky sisters behind those drawers and went to sleep under there, driving us wild 'til he woke up.
oh, dear, that was forty years ago!
most of the wonky blox have slim wedges framing the blox to tilt them.

Dorian said... #

LOL Rebecca, my youngest was also 12 days late!

Great fabric for a big boy quilt, have fun!

Marlynn said... #

Lovely big boy fabric!!

The trick to Wonky, don't overthink it. Its so easy, just make a seam, cut an angle. Once you figure out that it's easy and not to stress the perfect wonky look, it's lots of fun!!

Good Luck!!!

Sue said... #

Great fabrics! Whatever style you do I'm sure that it will turn out beautiful. :) Have fun making it! Nice find on the bed too.

Lynette said... #

Love those fabrics - they're going to look great on that bed

sew4my3 said... #

I normally don't do a whole lot of comments but when I saw your little guy in the photo in front of his big boy bed, I just had to say he absolutely stole my heart. My son just turned 18 and looking at your little guy brings back such good memories. Treasure the moments!