April 06, 2010

Janome felting machine . . .

Some time ago, I came across the ReVamp contest hosted by Janome. The idea was to submit pictures of something you turned from unuseable to useable. Since I already had the pictures on my computer, I uploaded before and after pictures of a ladies blouse that I turned into a baby doll top. I had made this some time ago and Alyssa's worn it many times.
So I had forgotten about this contest up until a month ago, when I was contacted by Janome to let me know that I'd won a judges choice award! And last week a beautiful new Janome felting machine was delivered to my door!
I've played with this machine a little bit and the idea is that it meshes fabrics or fibers together. I experimented on a pair of jeans (that Elayna refused to wear) by putting ribbon above the hem and punching it from the top side. Then I cut some different shapes of fabric and punched them through from the wrong side. It's definitely a fun machine to work with and so easy to use because there's no thread, bobbin, or even tension, just needles punching anywhere you choose. I hope to get better at this and use it more often for embellishing. I think it would also work great for patching up holes in the knees of kids jeans, but in a fun way. And even though I need a lot more improving in this skill, Elayna loves the jeans now. :)

7 comments:

Yvonne said... #

woohooo Rebecca!!

Margaret Aikema said... #

You sure do well in your contests and have oodles of luck! I haven't even heard of a machine like that. Brad's going to have to build or figure out a bigger craft room for you soon. Maybe it's time to build his garage beside the living room and convert the garage into a craft room. Wouldn't that be something! Take care and a big hug to all the kids from gramma.

Alisa said... #

Wow! What a machine! I have some pants with holes in the knees. Can I bring them over? :-)

Tania Grim said... #

that is really cool!

Sue said... #

What a cool machine! Sounds like you can do alot with it. Have fun! :)

Pauline Perh said... #

Congrat! Wow... new gadget to play with :)

Letherton said... #

cute outfits

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com