July 01, 2009

Quilt-Along Quilt

There's been a quilt-along hosted by the Old Red Barn going on and I joined in. It was great motivation to keep on track with my progress and last night I finished up the last bit of the binding. I did a smaller version and made the blocks 7 strips wide so I would have the least bit of scraps leftover. The quilt is for Alyssa and her transition to a toddler bed when the baby arrives. It measures approx 60" x 45" so that's big enough to hang over the edges of the mattress or tuck it in.
The fabric is from Sandi Hendersen's ginger blossom - one of my favorite fabric lines and it was part of the prize from the baby bootie contest last year. For the borders, I used a scalloped ruler which I got as a Christmas gift this past year, and really wanted to try it out after seeing this quilt. The ruler was super-simple to use and I LOVE the finished look! I will definitely be doing that again! For the backing, I used a soft minkie (that I picked up at a half price sale at our local fabric store). I made sure to pick out one that wasn't super-stretchy and found it easier to free motion quilt than I thought it would be - I was fully prepared for it not to work and so happy that it did!
I also added a label (something I am not good at taking the time to do!). I handwrote it out first and then free motioned over the letters - again, something that was easier than I thought it would be and something I'll do again next time! So I hope that Alyssa will trade in her baby quilt for this one (especially if the new babe is a girl).

9 comments:

peaknits said... #

Wow - this is gorgeous! If she won't trade her baby quilt in, I'll trade mine:)

Cindy @ Creating at Home said... #

This turned out beautifully, Rebecca! I love the scalloped edge! You are inspiring me to give it a try!

Anonymous said... #

Love it!!

Laura

CJ said... #

I am thinking of backing a quilt with minkee in the next week or so and am wondering how it is to free motion on a home machine. How did you baste it??? I saw this on the quilt along FLICKR pool and had to ask. Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL and that border is awesome!

Anonymous said... #

Wow another great job, I love the fabric!

Shari

Sue said... #

Wow Rebecca! It turned out fantastic! Hopefully Alyssa takes it okay..otherwise I will! :)

Alisa said... #

I like it Rebecca! It turned out really nice.

QuiltNut Creations said... #

beautiful! i love the scalloped edge

Stephanie Sabbe said... #

yay! Your prize fabric! Do a post on the ruler you are talking about. I don't think I've ever seen one of those